Nothing says winter hibernation quite like bacon and bourbon (the two best “B” words). This bacon jam can be used for breakfast, but is equally as versatile when accompanying bread as an appetizer or passed hors d’oeuvre. Hungry yet?
2 packages bacon
5 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion
1 white onion
1/2 cup bourbon (preferably Bulleit)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cumin
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 bay leaf
1 tsp mustard seeds (crushed)
1 tsp pepper
1. Cut bacon until small strips the size of your thumb.
2. Cook bacon in a pan until almost crisp.
3. Meanwhile, roughly chop garlic and onions.
4. Add bacon, most of the bacon grease, garlic, onions, bourbon, brown sugar, cumin, maple syrup, bay leaf, mustard seed and pepper to a dutch oven.
5. Cook on very low for 4 hours or overnight.
6. Remove the bay leaf from the mixture.
7. Using an immersion blender blend until large bits have been cut down, but not until smooth (leave some bacon texture).