I hesitated in sharing my favourite recipe for a variety of reasons, but mainly because there will be no reason for anyone to come over to our house for dinner parties if they can make this at home. Therefore I will need to rely on my winning personality as a catalyst to encourage people to come over…Ok, now I am really concerned. I still have wine, people! Oh, and my better half to cook, and a record player? I really should have thought this one through.
You’ll need: For the cakes
- 125 grams dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 tbsp flour (you can alternate this with gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a saucepan melt chocolate and butter over medium low heat, stirring constantly.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together room temperature eggs and egg whites.
4. Remove the melted chocolate mixture from heat.
5. Stir in the powdered sugar with a whisk.
6. Whisk in the egg yolks, stirring constantly adding a very small dribble at a time.
7. Mix in remaining ingredients (flour, salt and vanilla extract).
8. Distribute evenly among eight small or four large ramekins.
9. Bake for 5-8 minutes, centre should remain uncooked, and cake baked only on sides.
10. Allow to cool, meanwhile combine whipping cream and vanilla extract in a bowl.
11. Using an electric mixer on high speed beat until thick.
12. Add topping to cakes, serve warm and enjoy.