I’ve been working out a lot and generally feeling a bit achy and tired, so I was super excited when I discovered a healthy recipe for spicy turmeric coconut milk as an inflammation-reducing and warming treat before bed. It was easy and quick to make, and full of the good stuff: turmeric, cinnamon, fresh ginger, and coconut milk.
Turmeric is said to help improve liver function and blood circulation, as well as heal and soothe digestion – it’s a super-spice by pretty much everyone’s standards. Ginger is also good for your digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties, while cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, and lowers blood sugar levels. Coconut milk is full of healthy fats and has a rich, creamy consistency that makes this drink extra delish, although you could use any milk as a substitute.
Now, I didn’t add much honey, and my drink was barely sweet- due to the turmeric, ginger, and thick coconut milk it had the consistency of a butternut squash soup, but less vegetal-tasting. Next time around I’d definitely sweeten it more. Still, it was spicy, warm, and so comforting, and it was the perfect before-bed treat. Try it yourself and let me know what you think!
- One can coconut milk
- One smallish piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- A couple tablespoons of honey, to taste
- A pinch of black pepper
- Cinnamon, clove, cardamom (to taste, but I think the more the better with this stuff)
- One teaspoon or so of turmeric
- Combine all ingredients except honey in a pan and mix
- Heat on medium until it starts to bubble
- Turn down to simmer and stir for about five minutes to let the ingredients mix well
- Strain out ginger
- Add honey to taste, stir and serve!