I love french fries. I love dipping them in aioli, mayonnaise, ketchup, or even a bit of both (trust me, amazing). They are delicious, wonderful and everything that is right in this world. However, making them at home is a pain. You need a lot of oil, patience and no fear of God (in case said oil burns you, or spits, or just sizzles in a scary way). Someday I will acquire a full-fledged deep fryer for my kitchen (thighs be damned!) or live the dream and own a T-Fal ActiFry. Until that magical day, I have prepared for you a fool-proof way to ensure that you get delicious, crispy, mouth-watering french fries without the hassle of them sticking to the pan or dealing with scary oil. Added bonus, baking them is better for you!
You will need:
- potatoes (any kind will do)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes, I mean really wash them, no need to peel as long as you take the time to get all the dirt off
- Cut them into larger matchstick sized pieces
- Rinse the pieces 5 times with warm water (that is the most important part – you are basically rinsing off all the starch that makes them stick to the pan) So rinse, rinse, rinse, until the water runs clear
- Place in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Shake them up
- Spread in a SINGLE LAYER on a cookie sheet or large pan (the second important part, fries let off stream when they cook, if there is another fry on top, steam does not escape resulting in soggy fries)
- Cook at 415 degrees for 30-40 minutes flipping halfway until they are your desired shade of crispy.